Saturday 22 November 2014

Light and Fluffy Waffles and Snow

This was a shot from our deck at 7:30 this morning...our first snowfall of 2014


To put you in the mood as you read this blog post, play the following YouTube video clip. It's from one of my favourite Christmas movie's called, "White Christmas." It's called, "Snow." (click on the hyper-link if you can't view below)




Snow, white and fluffy, reminding me of the ivory snow flakes I put into my homemade laundry soap, softly drifted down from the heavens last night. I felt the possibilities of such in my bones, as I went to pick up the children from school yesterday. At the time, only heavy wet rain drops were plopping on my windshield but later, when I had to take Grace to her Christmas choir rehearsal, it had changed to the white stuff. Oh the first snowfall of the year is glorious.

I LOVE snow. A peaceful feeling and memories of childhood envelope me, as I'm in awe over our first snowfall. One of my favourite memories from childhood, was being bundled into my red one piece snow suit and going outside with my family to play in the snow. This was when we lived in Hope, B.C., back when my Dad was still alive. We made a massive snowman, taller than my dad and he even had a lap for me to sit on. Pictures of me with my three older sisters and Dad, and of course our snowman, are treasured photos now.

The smell of crisp, cold winter days also fill me with joy, as I remember the times when my step Dad, Bud and I would go and feed our horses. As our green Ford truck would come into view, our horses would lift up their heads and snorts of mist would puff from their noses, as they sauntered over to meet us at the gate. My horse, Blondie's velvet nose would push me in the tummy, and she would nuzzle me until I gave her the carrot or apple in my pocket. Knowing she was as happy to see me, as I was to see her, made those cold, snowy days, magical moments. She of course is long gone, along with my father, and my step father but as snow falls, my thoughts of them bring them alive once more.

Last night, the little ones had a hot tub before going to bed. As we lifted the hot tub cover, steam rolled up into the night sky. Safely, under the cover of our upper deck, the children floated around and their excited voices echoed into the blanketed white. "Can we go and play in it"? They asked? "Sure," I said, so they climbed out wearing nothing but their birthday suits. They ran to the edge of our deck, gingerly touching their naked toes on the white ground, and then they ran back to the hot tub, giggling, filled with glee. My step Dad, Bud would have looked at me and said, "making memories."

At bedtime, all warm in their fleece jammies, we read a story called, "Big Snow" by Jonathan Bean. It was about a little boy who while "helping" his mother do some holiday cleaning, was antsy as he kept a watchful eye on the progress of the winter snowfall. He was hoping for a big snow. Inside, he is underfoot, turning  white sheet changing and tub scrubbing into imaginary whiteouts. I love when his father comes home early from work and the whole family goes out for a walk in the deep snow.




    

It was the perfect book to read to our children on our first night of snow. I hope they have magical memories of this special time of year.

This Saturday morning, I had to get up early and take D to the hospital where he was undergoing a colonoscopy. Groan! Yes, I know, not the most fun procedure in the world and certainly not delightful to prepare for. I felt truly bad for him as he was up most of the night. I've just returned from dropping him off at our local hospital and also taking our oldest son, Clark to his job at the Science Centre. There was a sleepover there last night and Clark is on the first shift this morning, getting the kids their breakfast, making flubber, etc. I'm sure they will be talking about snow and perhaps looking at snowflakes through a microscope, exploring the marvelous world of science. Serious fun!

I'm going to make a quick batch of my light and fluffy waffles for the kids. Harrison was at a birthday party last night. Do you call it that when teens are turning 16? It was suppose to be a sleepover but at 10:30 he appeared home and as he poured himself a bowl of cereal, he said they had done everything he had wanted to and he knew his Dad was going to the hospital in the morning and I may need him. Yes, there were moments this week when I had to shake my head at some of his teenage judgement calls, but then he rises to the occasion, like last night and I think, "okay, maybe he will be ready to learn to drive soon." He turns 16 next month. I have a month to ponder that.

So I'm making waffles this morning and realized I haven't put a breakfast recipe on my blog yet. Do you want a great waffle recipe? This one has a few extra steps than the basic waffle recipe but it results in light and fluffy waffles. Waffles your family will remember as being the best they have ever eaten! So make up a batch for your family, serve them near a window, so they can eat and enjoy the magic going on outside, no matter where you live in the world. Making Memories!


Hope's Light and Fluffy Waffles
  • 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1¾ cups whole milk
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • 2 oz (½ stick) whole butter
  • ½ tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)

Directions
  1. Pre-heat your waffle iron to its hottest setting.

  2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

  3. Separate the eggs. Put the whites in a glass bowl and the yolks in another.

  4. Melt the butter over a low heat, then remove it and let it cool

  5. Beat the yolks thoroughly. Whisk in the milk, oil and melted butter.

  6. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff. Then add the sugar and continue mixing until you get nice stiff peaks. (This makes the waffles fluffy)

  7. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix gently until combined.

  8. Carefully fold in the beaten egg whites to the batter, don't over mix.

  9. Spray both surfaces of your waffle iron with cooking spray.

  10. Pour ½ to ¾ cup (depending on your waffle iron) batter onto the iron and close it.

  11. Cook until the waffle iron's indicator light shows that cooking is complete, or until no more steam comes out. The finished waffle should be golden brown and crispy.

  12. Lift the waffle out of the iron with a pair of tongs and either serve right away or transfer it to the oven to keep warm.
I add some fruit, some syrup and sprinkle it with icing sugar and serve it to the girls.

The little girls have been wearing their bear hats all week...Bears love waffles!
Me yelling, "Harrison" come and get it....I really have to start using a bell at mealtime


My older kids love weekends when we make waffles etc and take time for breakfast
Grace is always up for a smoothie


Add a fruit smoothie to the breakfast and you've given your family a healthy start to the day along with memories of icing sugar sprinkled waffles on snow covered mornings.

Fruit Smoothie

This is the one I make most often as all my children love it.

Add some crushed ice to the bottom of your blender...I use about 1- 2 cups.

Then I fill 1/2 of my blender, about 4-6 cups with whatever milk we have on hand....almond, rice, or cow's milk...let your taste be your guide

I then add 1 - 1 1/2 cups of yogurt...strawberry or blueberry is our choice

Add a banana and then frozen fruit...we like blueberries and strawberries. The more you add the fruitier the smoothie...also my girls like more strawberries for a pink colour smoothie ....but lots of blueberries looks great too...not to mention loaded with antioxidents.

Blend it until everything is well combined and serve.

(Note...I like to add some ground flax seeds for extra fibre for my smoothie but some kids don't like it) 


Well, blog readers, I hate to leave you mid blog but the hospital just called and it's time to pick up D and bring him home. I'm going to add some scrambled eggs to his breakfast when he gets home. He must so hungry since he hasn't eaten since Thursday night!

While I'm off, I'm going to leave the little ones home with Harrison and Grace. I've promised them a special video to watch while I'm gone. Have you ever watched the "Snowman" movie? I'm adding a link below and maybe you can watch it with your family on the next wintery day. (unless you live in Florida like my good friend, K)

The music is hauntingly beautiful and reminds me of when my older children were playing their violins and cello, with our local Carriage House String Orchestra.  Alyssa also, played it on the piano and I wonder if Grace, who is now taking voice lessons, will sing it in the future. Tingles cover my arms as I listen, knowing angels are listening to it with me. Wrap yourself up with warm memories and know, each moment you are making more magic in the world.

Okay, I've got to run but I hope you enjoy this movie and the music as well. Here's the YouTube video of "The Snowman."...for young and old. (click on the hyper link if you can't view below)


 




 Until we meet again, may you be well, happy and peaceful.

Blessings from Hope


No comments:

Post a Comment